1/7 Photos of Creme Brulee
1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla beans or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1Use 6-oz. ramekins.
- 2Heat the oven to 325°F.
- 3Heat the cream or cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until scalded (you'll see small bubbles on the sides of the pan).
- 4Split the vanilla bean in half, if using, and scrape the seeds into the cream.
- 5Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, slowly whisk the sugar and salt into the egg yolks.
- 6Slowly temper the hot cream into the sugar/yolk mixture.
- 7Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a pitcher or measuring cup.
- 8Stir in vanilla extract if using.
- 9Arrange the ramekins in a baking dish with deep sides, pour the mixture into the ramekins, Fill the baking dish with water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins and cover the dish with foil.
- 10Bake until just set, 25 to 50 min.
- 11Remember to start checking early; baking time will depend on the thickness and depth of your ramekins and baking dish.
- 12Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and let the ramekins cool in the water bath.
- 13Remove, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 14Topping: sprinkle a light layer of sugar over each cold creme brulee just before serving.
- 15Caramelize either using a propane torch by passing over the sugar or putting under a broiler.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme Brulee
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.8
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 370.5 mg
- Sodium 74.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: