Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- Combine sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat until sugar melts and mixture simmers. Remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk. Gradually stir 1/4 of cream mixture into yolks. Then add to the rest of the cream.
- Pour custard into 8 small ramekins. Place ramekins in a baking pan. Add about 1 inch water to pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the custards and broil until the sugar is melted. About 3 minutes.
I picked this recipe because it didn't have as much sugar as other recipes I saw, and I tend to not like super sweet things. But this recipe came out tasting like sweet scrambled eggs for me, instead of custard. It set up nicely, but it was a disaster for me in every other way.
AMAZING. i cannot believe how EASY and YUMMY this creme brulee is!! from the crunchy brown sugar to the creamy base... it's all perfection. made for pick a chef fall 2008.