Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Light, luscious, thoroughly satisfying! I adjusted a Joy of Cooking Cookbook recipe to suit our tastes. It's simple to prepare, lovely to serve, delicious to consume!
- Heat whipping cream in top of double boiler till hot.
- In a bowl, beat eggs.
- Add vanilla and beat till thoroughly combined.
- Pour cream slowly over eggs, beating all the time.
- (It's easier if you place the egg-bowl in your sink--less messy, easier to control).
- Return mixture to double boiler and cook, stirring constantly, till mixture heavily coats the spoon.
- Pour into lightly buttered 6-7 oz. oven proof custard cups.
- Chill overnight in refrigerator.
- To Serve:.
- Cover custard with 1/4" layer of sieved light brown sugar, making sure the custard is completely covered.
- Place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 250 degrees and heat till sugar is carmelized. Times will vary according to oven and refrigerator temperatures.
- When crust has formed, remove and serve immediately.
Hot creme brulee? That's horrible. It should be chilled with the sugar caramelized on top. You can't do that in the oven.