8 hrs 25 mins
Light, luscious, thoroughly satisfying! I adjusted a Joy of Cooking Cookbook recipe to suit our tastes. It's simple to prepare, lovely to serve, delicious to consume!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat whipping cream in top of double boiler till hot.
- 2In a bowl, beat eggs.
- 3Add vanilla and beat till thoroughly combined.
- 4Pour cream slowly over eggs, beating all the time.
- 5(It's easier if you place the egg-bowl in your sink--less messy, easier to control).
- 6Return mixture to double boiler and cook, stirring constantly, till mixture heavily coats the spoon.
- 7Pour into lightly buttered 6-7 oz. oven proof custard cups.
- 8Chill overnight in refrigerator.
- 9To Serve:.
- 10Cover custard with 1/4" layer of sieved light brown sugar, making sure the custard is completely covered.
- 11Place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 250 degrees and heat till sugar is carmelized. Times will vary according to oven and refrigerator temperatures.
- 12When crust has formed, remove and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme Brulee
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.4
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 374.5 mg
- Sodium 115.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 8.7 g