Recipe by CountryLady
Egg custards are quite simple to prepare, provided you follow the recipe directions! Avoid using excessive heat which will ruin the texture, stir the mixture constantly when cooking over direct heat & watch the mixture carefully as it thickens. Similar to Creme Caramel ... richer ....... delicious! Serve with fruit such as sliced strawberries, bananas, pineapple or mandarin orange segments.
- 3 cups heavy cream or 3 cups whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat cream in a heavy 1 quart saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- Blend yolks with sugar in a 2 quart saucepan with a wire whisk; slowly stir in cream.
- Cook the mixture, over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until it just coats the back of a metal spoon about 15 minutes - do NOT boil; stir in vanilla.
- Divide mixture among 10 ramekins or ovenproof custard dishes; refrigerate until well chilled, about 6 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle brown sugar over top of the custard & broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar melts; serve in the centre of a small plate, surrounded by fruit.