Recipe by startnover
This is so silky smooth and decadent.
Top Review by An_Net
This was certainly silky. I found it a little eggy and would possibly only use 8 yolks next time. I added a vanilla bean whilst simmering the cream and added vanilla extract to the eggs and sugar. I will certainly use this recipe again
- 9 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar, plus
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl cream together egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar with a whisk till pale yellow and thick.
- Pour creme into medium saucepan over low heat.
- Bring cream to a brief simmer, do not boil and add vanilla.
- Remove from heat and temper the egg mixture by adding 1/2 cup of cream at a time while continuously whisking to keep eggs from cooking.
- Keep whisking till all cream is added.
- divide into six 6-oz ramikins about 3/4 way full.
- Place ramekins in roasting pan and add water to pan till about 1/2 way up sides of ramikins.
- Bake till barely set around the edges, 40 minute.
- If starts to brown place a piece of foil on top.
- Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
- Transfer ramekins to fridge.
- Chill for about 2 hours.
- Sprinkle each w/ 1 tbsp sugar, hold a kitchen torch 2 inches over surface and use just long enough to brown the sugar.
- Garnish with fruit, raspberry sauce, cookies-- whatever--and serve immediately.