Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Deliciously dark and decadent, this treat comes from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1⁄4 lb sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup cream, whipped and flavored with a little
- brandy or sherry wine
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler; add hot water to make a smooth paste.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; beat egg yolks until very light.
- Add chocolate mixture to beaten egg yolks; fold in egg whites, vanilla and salt.
- Place in a bowl and chill thoroughly.
- Serve with whipped cream.