Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A recipe from the Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten. Sounded too good for me to lose.... Cook time is freeze time.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cognac
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until very thick.
- Reduce to low speed, and add the cornstarch.
- With the mixer still on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the eggs. Pour the custard mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened. The custard will coat the spoon like heavy cream. Don't cook it above 180 degrees or the eggs will scramble!
- Pour the sauce through a fine strainer, add the vanilla extract, Cognac, and vanilla seeds, if using.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a plastic container and store in the freezer until ready to serve.