Recipe by evelyn/athens
A good 'base' recipe to know. It can be used to produce a multitude of delicious ice creams, or served on a fruit salad, or a slice of chocolate pound cake. You'll find your own delicious ways to use this versatile custard.
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- In a saucepan, combine milk and cream and bring to simmer, stirring.
- Add cream to yolks in a thin stream, whisking.
- Transfer custard to pan, stirring, and cook over moderately-low heat, until it coats back of spoon, but do not let it boil.
- Strain custard through a fine sieve into a metal bowl set over a larger bowl of ice and cold water.
- Stir in vanilla and let custard cool, stirring occasionally.
- Place plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard and chill until ready to use.