Recipe by trick
This velvety pouring custard is fantastic drizzled on puddings, apple crisp, bread pudding and fruit, or pooled under or poured over cake and fruit pies. See below for other interesting additions. I originally saw this recipe in Canadian Living Magazine and wanted to make sure I didn't lose it.
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup 18% cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, heat together cream, milk and half of the sugar over medium heat until steaming and bubbles form around edge.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar. Whisk in about half of the hot cream mixture in thin stream; stir back into pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Strain into clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; let cool. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- (Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.).
- Eggnog Creme Anglaise: Omit vanilla. Stir 2 tbsp dark rum and 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg into finished sauce.
- Orange Whisky Creme Anglaise: Omit vanilla. Add 1 tsp grated orange rind to cream mixture before heating. Stir 2 tbsp whisky or Cointreau into finished sauce.
- Rum Spiked Creme Anglaise: Stir 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup rum into finished sauce.