This velvety pouring custard is fantastic drizzled on puddings, apple crisp, bread pudding and fruit, or pooled under or poured over cake and fruit pies. See below for other interesting additions. I originally saw this recipe in Canadian Living Magazine and wanted to make sure I didn't lose it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In saucepan, heat together cream, milk and half of the sugar over medium heat until steaming and bubbles form around edge.
- 2Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar. Whisk in about half of the hot cream mixture in thin stream; stir back into pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 3Strain into clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; let cool. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- 4(Make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.).
- 6Eggnog Creme Anglaise: Omit vanilla. Stir 2 tbsp dark rum and 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg into finished sauce.
- 7Orange Whisky Creme Anglaise: Omit vanilla. Add 1 tsp grated orange rind to cream mixture before heating. Stir 2 tbsp whisky or Cointreau into finished sauce.
- 8Rum Spiked Creme Anglaise: Stir 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup rum into finished sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creme Anglaise
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.6
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 373.2 mg
- Sodium 63.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g