Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An Italian cream of spinach soup
- 4 cups stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- paprika, for garnish
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Melt butter in another pan, add onions, and cook over low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, then gradually stir in the stock.
- Add spinach and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, then puree in a food processor or blender.
- Pour into a pan, season with salt and pepper, stir in cream, and simmer briefly.
- Remove form heat, cover, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour into soup bowls and garnish with a swirl of cream and a pinch of paprika.