Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't tried this, but it looks like a tasty dessert. From The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook.
- 1 liter milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small lemon, zest of, sliced into strips
- 2 slices orange zest, 4 x 2 cm
- 8 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- Place the milk, scraped vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and lemon and orange zests in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then strain and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolds with the caster sugar in a bowl for about 5 minutes, until pale and creamy. Add the cornflour and mix well. Slowly add the warm milk mixture to the egg and whisk continuously. Return to the saucepan and cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and creamy. Do not boil as it will curdle. Pour into six 1 cup ramekins and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and grill for 3 minutes or until it caramelises.
You can't go wrong with any custard in my home, and we all really enjoyed this one. The flavour of the zest really came through in the cooked custard, and the caramelized sugar topping made this so sweet and good!
It as a very tasty dessert! I just love it especially with the caramelized brown sugar, then chilled it again. Tastes like a flan but lighter. Muy bueno! Thanks! Made for ZWT5.