Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A spiced Spanish Creme Brulee. This is a little lighter as it is not made with cream. Time does not include setting time.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 small lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄3 cup demerara sugar
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch. Using a fork mix till smooth.
- Pour milk into a saucepan. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest and bring to a boil.
- Gradually pour spiced milk into yolk mixture, stirring, then pour back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously untill the custard has thickened.
- Pour custard into ramekins and leave to cool.
- Refridgerate the custard for 3-4 hours.
- 20-30 minutes before serving, sprinkle with demerara sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch, then leave at room temperature till ready to serve.