Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have not tried this recipe, but it looked delicious on the show. Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann Show: Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffmann Episode: Hardware Chic
- 5 cups milk
- 4 slices orange zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for caramelizing
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Special equipment: 10 (5-ounce) ramekins.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, orange zest, cinnamon sticks, and salt to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes to infuse flavors.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the 1 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the cornstarch and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Remove and discard the orange zest and cinnamon sticks from the milk. Whisking constantly, gradually add the milk to the egg yolk mixture.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly to thicken, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain the custard into a large bowl and whisk in the vanilla.
- Divide the custard between 10 (5-ounce) ramekins and smooth the surfaces.
- Cool the custards slightly, then cover the ramekins with the plastic wrap and refrigerate them until the custard is cold, at least 8 or up to 24 hours
- To serve the crema catalana, sprinkle each ramekin evenly with 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Use a kitchen torch to melt and caramelize the sugar until browned and crusty. Serve immediately.