Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the magazine "Delicious" August 2005 issue.
- 2 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks (quills)
- 1 pared orange, rind of
- 1 pared lemon, rind of
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Put cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and peel in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring just to boiling point, then remove from heat.
- Whisk together yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Strain cream and pour slowly over yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Skim off any foam.
- Put six 1/2-cup (125ml) ramekins in a large roasting pan and spoon mixture into ramekins.
- Pour hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins, then cover the whole pan with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set.
- Lift the ramekins out of the pan and leave to cool before chilling in the fridge for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat the grill to high.
- Place ramekins on a baking tray, sprinkle brown sugar over chilled creams, then place under the grill (oven broiler) for 2-3 minutes until sugar is melted and dark golden.
- Leave for a few minutes for sugar to cool and harden before serving.
Sublime, divine and oh so fine!!!! OMG this is the kind of dessert that makes you want it first!! The orange, lemon and cinnamon are balanced so nicely and you get a lingering aftertaste of them!! Oh thank you Charlotte!!!!!