Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Pastry for a single Crust Pie
- In medium mixing bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening or Lard till pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture gently toss with fork.
- Push to side of bowl
- Repeat until all is moistened.
- Form dough into ball.
- On lightly floured surface flatten dough with hands.
- With a rolling pin roll dough from center to edges forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Wrap pastry around rolling pin.
- Unroll pastry onto a 9 inch pie plate being careful to avoid stretching pastry.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Make a fluted , roped-shaped, or scalloped edge.
- For a baked pie shell, prick bottom and sides with tines of fork.
- Bake 450 F oven for 10 to 12 minute
- Or,line pastry with foil and fill with dry beans, or use double thickness of heavy duty foil.
- Bake in 450 F oven for 5 minute
- Remove beans and foil or heavy duty foil bake for 5 to 7 min more or until golden.
- Makes 1 9 inch pie shell.