Recipe by awalde
Eastern cookies are a great present for your friends. My children couldn’t stop to eat them!
- 3 -4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water or 2 tablespoons orange peel, greated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups flour (if necessary more)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sesame seeds (for topping) (optional)
- sugar (for topping) (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten (for topping) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate yolk from whit eggs.
- Beat white eggs with salt very well to “snow”.
- Beat butter (or margarine), sugar and yolks until soft and light.
- Incorporate the beaten white eggs.
- Milk with orange blossom and vanilla (or grated orange peel) together.
- Add the flavored milk to the egg mixture.
- Incorporate slowly the flour mixed with baking soda.
- Work until soft, but not sticky. If necessary add some flour.
- Spread the mixture over the dough and decorate with reserved flowers.
- Take one teaspoon dough and roll it (not thicker than a pencil) and shape it as you like-.
- Place on baking foil and bake them 12 minutes at 180°C/350°F or until golden.
- With this quantity I got 4 baking molds of them.
- Note: You can paint the cookies with some beaten egg or you can roll them in sugar or in sesame seeds.
- Variation: add to the dough cinnamon or chocolate powder.