Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 6 cups water
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the onion; cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and sage.
- Scrape the onion mixture into a large slow cooker.
- Add the zucchini, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add in the rice and cook for 30 minutes more, or until the rice is very tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Reheat if necessary; taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the cheese and parsley.