Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wanted a simple first course soup. Not to over power my main entrée. My guests said I had to post this. Even hubby liked it & he hates veggies--surprised me.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- sour cream, as garnish (optional)
- In a 2-quart pot sauté onion and carrots in butter until onion is clear.
- Add potatoes, zucchini, broth, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 1/2 hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree all in a blender or food processor.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
This soup is a delicious way to use up too many zucchini and the great thing is you can use frozen grated zucchini long after the plants have stopped producing. I used real garlic instead of powder and next time I will add some milk powder when I puree in the blender. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This was good. I was looking for a very healthy (i.e. no cream or cheese)recipe to use zucchini from my garden. Although my husband and I enjoyed it we felt we didn't need to repeat it. A plus for it is that all the ingredients are usually available. Will keep it in my recipe box but am still seeking the "ultimate" zucchini soup receipe. Thanks for tonights dinner Katha. (Maybe that is another thing, rather than a starter as suggested by Katha, this was our main course.
This is a wonderful recipe!!! Easy & delicious. Smooth & creamy (w/o the fattening cream) and a great way to use all those zucchini from the garden!!! Thanks for posting!!