I have searched for a good zucchini rice casserole for many years that tastes like a dish I used to buy at a little corner restaurant in Birmingham, Michigan back in the mid 80's. I have still not found that exact recipe, but I have tried many and have come up with this (best of all recipes - that I've tried)
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Kraft Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
- 2 eggs (beaten with fork)
- 1⁄2 cup baby portabella mushrooms (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, diced red & yellow
- 1⁄4 onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook rice.
- 2. Shred zucchini while rice is cooking.
- 3. Saute onions, peppers, & zucchini for 5-7 minutes.
- 4. Combine rice, eggs, cheeses, & cream of mushroom.
- 5. Stir in zucchini mixture.
- 6. Pour into large casserole dish 9' x 11' or larger & cover with foil.
- 7. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes & take foil off & bake for another 20 minutes.