Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The fresh cilantro and basil lend their herbal flavor to this excellent Italian soup.
Make and share this Creamy Zucchini & Basil Zuppa recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb green onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups diced zucchini, about 1/2 inch cubes,use young zucchini (DO NO PEEL)
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup base
- 16 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced,1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- In a heavy bottom cooking pot, add olive oil, green onions and garlic and sautee' for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, 1/2 cup of chicken broth and chicken soup base and cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, diced potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cilantro and basil and cook for 1 minute.
- Puree' soup in a food processor or blender in batches and return to cooking pot.
- Stir in buttermilk, whole milk, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with paprika.
Tasty, buttermilk adds a nice tang. I expected it to be brown when the red and green were blended, but it's a rosy color with dark green flecks, very pretty. There is a half cup of broth unaccounted for in the instructions, so I added it at the end. It might possibly have blended more smoothly had I added it all at the same time.
very simple to make. Used vegetable stock instead of chicken so it could be a vegetarian recipe. Substituted more vegetable stock for the milk and butttermilk to lower the fat a little. Delicious soup.