Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The fresh cilantro and basil lend their herbal flavor to this excellent Italian soup.
Make and share this Creamy Zucchini & Basil Zuppa recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb green onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups diced zucchini, about 1/2 inch cubes,use young zucchini (DO NO PEEL)
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup base
- 16 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced,1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- In a heavy bottom cooking pot, add olive oil, green onions and garlic and sautee' for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, 1/2 cup of chicken broth and chicken soup base and cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, diced potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cilantro and basil and cook for 1 minute.
- Puree' soup in a food processor or blender in batches and return to cooking pot.
- Stir in buttermilk, whole milk, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with paprika.
Tasty, buttermilk adds a nice tang. I expected it to be brown when the red and green were blended, but it's a rosy color with dark green flecks, very pretty. There is a half cup of broth unaccounted for in the instructions, so I added it at the end. It might possibly have blended more smoothly had I added it all at the same time.
very simple to make. Used vegetable stock instead of chicken so it could be a vegetarian recipe. Substituted more vegetable stock for the milk and butttermilk to lower the fat a little. Delicious soup.