Cook1 hr 30 mins
This came from Cooking Light 2001 magazine and it has been our favorite since I found it. It is the best cold, rainy, gloomy, any day soup ever!!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked turkey breast, chopped (~1/2 lb)
- 1 cup wild rice, uncooked (or mixed brown & wild)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk or 2 3⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk or 2 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over med high heat; add carrot and next 5 ingredients; saute 8 minutes or until brown.
- Stir in broth scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in turkey and rice; cover and simmer 1 hour 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Combine flour and milk in a small bowl stirring with a whisk.
- Add flour/milk mixture to pan and cook over medium heat about 8 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in sherry and salt.