Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was on the back of a Reese box.
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- In a saucepan bring water to a boil and add rice and salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
- To Prepare Soup:.
- Melt butter, add onions and celery, cover and gently cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons salt, pepper and flour.
- Remove from heat and add milk, stirring until flour is well blended.
- Return to low heat, cook stirring constantly until soup had thicken.
- Add cooked rice and simmer a few minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve hot, garnish with chopped chives.
Excellent soup! Made as directed. The 5 cups of milk seemed a bit too much at first, however, as the whole thing simmered over a low heat while I made the main course it all came together. Thanks, Charlotte J, for posting from the Reese wild rice box! Made for Bargain Basement tag game.