This is the perfect soup to make right on the cusp of autumn, when you're faced with a chilly day, but still have fresh basil at your fingertips! Pop a pan of buttermilk biscuits in the oven when you put the chicken in the soup, and you'll have a cozy warm meal in minutes! (You can easily use all fresh herbs in this if you like, it's just that I only grow basil!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more or less to taste)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, each 6-inches long, sliced very thinly
- 6 medium carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly diced
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium chicken bullion cubes)
- 2 -3 cups water (start with 2, add more if needed)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 2 chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2-1 cup cream or 1/2-1 cup half-and-half
- fresh basil leaf, chiffonaded
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat olive oil in a mid-size heavy soup pot over a medium flame till hot. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, till soft and golden (lower flame if necessary to keep garlic from burning).
- 2When veggies are soft, add dried spices and cook, stirring, till fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add chicken broth, water, and wild rice. Bring to a boil, lower flame, cover tightly and simmer 40 minutes, till wild rice is almost done.
- 4Add cubed chicken and cook 7-8 minutes more, till chicken and wild rice are both done. (Don't overcook, or you'll have mushy wild rice and dry chicken!).
- 5Remove soup from heat and ladle about 1 cup broth into a small bowl. Let cool a bit, then whisk in cream, being careful to stir quickly so the cream doesn't curdle.
- 6Slowly whisk cream and broth mixture back into the soup, stirring till well mixed. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Wild Rice & Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (417 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.6
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.5 mg
- Sodium 593.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 13.6 g