Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from Rachael Ray. A recipe that is hearty, not heavy.
Top Review by Scrivener1
I used Uncle Bens Wild Rice. It came with a spice packet. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to put it in. I did, and I loved this "soup." It was more like a stew. I didn't add the chicken, and I don't think it needed it. I will add a little water next time.
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, any variety
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend
- 3⁄4 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor, soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of chicken broth for 10 minutes. Process until coarsely chopped, about 20 seconds.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion and sage and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the rehydrated mushroom mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the remaining 5 cups of broth, the rice mix and the sliced mushrooms and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breast, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the chicken breast is cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred; return to the pot. Stir in the heavy cream; season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes.