Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This rice dish is absolutely delicious, I have made it quite a few times and my family just goes wild over it! Prep time does not include pre-boiling the long grain and wild rice. I have even added in chopped jalapenos. If you cannot find uncooked long grain and wild rice use two (250 gram each) packages Uncle Ben's Bistro Express Long Grain and Wild rice with Fine Herbs, it is already precooked, do not preheat the package of rice just add to the recipe as directed. This complete recipe can be doubled, use three packages of the precooked rice for this, not four if you are doubling the recipe.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained (can use more, I just use one can for this)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken (can use less, I blanch my chicken breasts in boiling water with salt for about 20 minutes)
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and diced
- chopped fresh parsley (optional and to taste, I use about 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish (use a large dish if you are doubling the recipe).
- Cook the rice according to package directions; set aside.
- In a skillet melt butter, add in onion, drained mushrooms and garlic, cook stirring until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, half and half cream and broth; cook stirring until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in cooked chicken, pimiento, parsley, nuts and the cooked rice; mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spoon into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.