Recipe by Miraklegirl
Adapted from a recipe I found in a "Best of Italy" cookbook. I think a shot of sherry would be really good in this as well.
Top Review by Wistaria
This soup is amazing! The flavor is wonderful, and makes the perfect consistency when made as directed. I used a mix of dried mushrooms and crimini for the fresh. I added the suggested shot of sherry while the onions and mushrooms were softening. I also added a bit of truffle oil at the very end with the cream. This is seriously delicious stuff, and really very easy and quick. Try it now!
- 28.34 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced thinly
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 226.79 g fresh wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1182.95 ml chicken stock (I use a 'pareve' mix when using the cream to keep it kosher)
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme
- 158.51 ml cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak porcinis in 1 c warm water for 30 minutes, strain and reserve the liquid Heat the oil and butter until foaming, then add onion, shallots and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes (until softened) Add fresh mushrooms to the pan and stir until softened.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the porcinis, liquid, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Process 3/4 of the soup in a blender (immersion blender is perfect).
- Add cream and heat through.
- Correct seasonings if necessary and garnish with fresh thyme and cracked black pepper.