Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I received this recipe via email from Taste of Home Budget Friendly Meals. I had to tweak the spices a little as the original spices would have made it WAY too hot for our tastes. I can tell you that when I made this, Jim just kept saying, over and over, how amazing it was! It is very, very easy to put together, and the wow factor is definitely there. If you try this recipe, I know you'll feel the same! :-) (We doubled it for our family of six, and I think you could use any "white" meat in this recipe. We will be trying boneless thighs next time, for texture....)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. Yield: 7 servings.
This was delicious! I made it for Spring PAC 2010 and it was very easy to put together. I used only one can of green chiles because of the sensitivities of some family members but it was still really good-2 cans would have been perfect for me! I used half and half instead of heavy cream, but it was thick enough. Next time, I might add more beans. I did most of it in a crock pot and turned off the heat ad added the cream and sour cream right before serving to avoid curdling. Thanks for another good recipe!
Absolutely perfect!!!! Made per recipe and will definitely be making this again.
loved it! I also precooked 1 1/2 cups of rice and added it to the finished chili to make it thicker :)