1 hr 30 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This recipe was in a little recipe pamphlet DH received in the mail. I added extra seasonings and increased the cooking times. I served it with hot crusty sourdough bread and it made a wonderful cold weather soup. As an added bonus using canned beans makes it a very quick and easy dish to put together. I like using the parmesean cheese and DH likes the extra "kick" of the crushed red peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white beans (not dried, I use Great Northern)
- 1 (1 lb) package bulk Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed dried red pepper (optional)
- 1Drain beans in colander and remove 1 1/2 cups beans and place in mixing bowl.
- 2Using a potato masher or the back of a spoon mash beans to a fairly smooth consistency then set aside.
- 3In large skillet cook sausage over medium heat breaking up into small pieces until browned.
- 4Remove sauage from skillet and place on paper towels to absorb grease.
- 5In heavy dutch oven or stock pot heat oil over medium heat.
- 6Add chopped onions, carrots and celery to hot oil and cook until softened, about 20-25 minutes.
- 7Add broth, whole beans and minced garlic to vegetable mixture.
- 8Bring to a simmer, lower heat and stir in cooked sausage and reserved mashed beans.
- 9Add seasonings, cover and simmer gently over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- 10Add heavy cream and cook covered over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- 11Place in bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesean cheese and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy White Bean & Italian Sausage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (527 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1105.5
- Calories from Fat 599
- Total Fat 66.6 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 167.7 mg
- Sodium 2138.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 46.3 g