Recipe by Geema
Lots of flavor and good protein in this quick and easy soup. Adding ham or smoked sausage is optional; actually, I like this soup better meatless and pureed smooth.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I just had to try this soup because it had peanut butter in the ingredients! I used spicy dry smoked sausage, replaced the oil with butter, increased the garlic, and used 1 tablespoon dry red pepper flakes, soup just could not get any better than this! we loved it, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup ham or 1⁄2 cup smoked sausage, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans (chickpeas, great northern,navy or cannelini)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a saucepan with the olive oil over medium heat, and saute onions, celery, meat and garlic for 8 minutes.
- Add broth and next 3 ingredients, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
- I usually omit the meat and puree the soup with my stick blender, enjoying the smooth, creamy texture.