Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups small broccoli florets or 2 cups green beans, fresh cut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, potato and carrots.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Place flour in a medium bowl.
- Gradually stir in milk, mixing well.
- Add milk mixture to soup.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup has thickened.
- For chicken vegetable soup, stir in 2 cup diced cooked chicken breast.
Very yummy. I substituted chicken bullioun and water for canned broth.
Excellent soup! It took me less than 30 minutes to make, from start to finish! I loved and so did my husband .. I got 6 servings .. thanks!
Very quick and easy but most important of all delicious. That's about all I look for in a recipe and this had it all. All of the family enjoyed it and decided after the first bite to keep the recipe. ;) We had ours with english muffins which really went great with it. Thanks for a great soup. Kindcook