Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was craving Pasta Primavera from our local Italian eatery, but we are trying to make healthier choices. I just happened to have a can of fat-free evaporated milk, so I threw this recipe together. Can't wait to see the nutritional values... I'm hoping it'll rate well because this was really tasty!
- 13 1⁄4 ounces whole wheat rotini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 slices deli ham, rolled and thinly sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, wedged
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Prepare Rotini in a large pot as directed on the box.
- On medium-high, heat olive oil in large, deep skillet. Saute garlic & ham, add onions and celery. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add Broccoli and 2 Tbsp Lemon juice. Cook and stir for 1 minute, reduce heat, add 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- In medium non-stick saucepan, heat evaporated milk over medium heat.
- Using a wire whisk, stir in 2 Tbsp flour, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 Tbsp basil, 1/8 tsp white pepper, and 3/4 cup chicken broth. Add 3 Tbsp Parmesan, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil.
- When sauce has thickened, pour over ham & veggies and mix well. Drain pasta, return to its large pot, and toss with your creamy veggie concoction.