Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
My DD#1 was craving some of my homemade potato soup but wanted me to add vegetables to it too. Since she hadn't been feeling well and was working way too hard, I decided to see what I could come up with for her and this is the results.
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 5 lbs potatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- Put bacon, onion and celery in a large stock pot and allow to simmer until almost caramelized.
- Stir frequently.
- Add carrots and cabbage and cover with just enough water to cover vegetables.
- When carrots are tender, add potatoes and spices, and add enough more water to cover again.
- When the potatoes are done, pour in the 2 cans of evaporated milk and allow the soup to return to almost a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve it and add it to the pot. This will thicken the soup just slightly. Add more corn starch for a thicker soup.
- Be sure to stir so that the thickening doesn't end up in the bottom of the pot.
- Serve with toast, croutons or crackers.