Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a cutout of a magazine and all I have is a name of submitter R. Zagrzebski - so I'm assuming it is from one of my many TOH magazines. I adjusted it just a bit by adding a couple extra veggies. Great served with a whole wheat crusty bread.
- 3 (16 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (I prefer Vidalia)
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 8 cups fresh cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh zucchini, cubed
- 4 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large soup pot, combine broth, carrots, potatoes, onions and rice; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini; simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree half of the mixture in a blender or food processor then return to soup pot.
- Add milk and pepper; mix well.
- Heat through but DO NOT boil.
Oh boy, this was a lovely soup for a cold night! DH often requests vegetable soup for our weekly soup night, and I am always on the lookout for a recipe that will deliver more nutrition (ie protein, calcium) than my basic veg soup. This one certainly fit the bill! I made half a recipe and it still made quite a bit of soup; more than enough for my family of 3 with some left for lunch. The only changes I made were to sub one cup of green beans in for some of the cauliflower and add peas instead of the brown rice. A nice healthy shake of salt and pepper at the end made this just perfect for us. Served with Quick Sunday Bread and butter, this was a soup-lover's dream. Thanks for posting!! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
Perfect for a cold rainy day, tasty, hot and healthy. Love both the creaminess mixed with small bits of veggies and also how low in fat this soup is. This is almost a veggie chowder and how can you not love that. Made one small change used quinoa in place of brown rice. Will defiantly be making this again. Thanks so much for the post.
Loved this soup! Chock full of veggies and full of flavor. I don't care for onion so left it out. The brown rice is a great addition and adds a nice surprise while you eat the soup. Really loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6, Zwizzle Chicks