Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 5 -6 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 vegetarian vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen soybeans
- 1 cup cooked broccoli
- 1 cup cooked potato
- 1⁄2 cup cooked carrot
- 2 cups cooked white pearl onions
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Make the dough:.
- Crumble salt, flour, and butter.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time.
- Stir lightly until dough clings in a ball.
- Roll with rolling pin to make dough for 2 pies.
- Cook the Vegetables:
- Ahead of time, boil the pearl onions, carrots, potatoes, and broccoli until they are not quite fully cooked.
- Make the filling:.
- Sauté celery and chopped onions with butter.
- Add flour to make a paste.
- Add milk and boullion.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add cooked vegetables, frozen vegetables, and spices.
- Put the filling in the pie crusts and put the tops on the pies.
- Bake 20-25 min at 375 degrees.
This was a REALLY good Pot Pie. And I'm not a big pot pie fan :) I knocked it down a star because I felt like the measurements and directions for the crust may have been inaccurate. I only made 1 pie - it was my first time making homemade crust so I didn't want to stress myself out too much (LoL!). In a bowl I combined 2 cups of Whole Wheat Graham Flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt then cut in 2/3 cup softened butter until crumbly. I gradually added 6-8 TBS cold water until the dough formed a ball and divided the dough in half so that one ball was slightly larger than the other (larger for the base of the pie, smaller for the top). It worked for a 9-in to 10-in pie pan. I then cut the filling recipe in half - and it filled it perfectly :) The thyme gave it a wonderful flavor. Despite being a vegetarian dish I think it would be great with chicken or turkey. Yum!!