Recipe by BJ from BC
This is a favourite around our house, especially on those rainy cold days. It's especially good with a little grated cheddar, crumbled cooked bacon and diced green onion sprinkled on top of the individual soup bowls.
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, cut up in small bite sized florets
- 3 onions, cut up
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in small pieces
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (60 g) envelopeknorr cream of vegetable soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine top ten ingredients and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower are done.
- In saucepan melt butter and then add crushed garlic. When melted remove from heat and add flour then stir in milk, a small amount of milk to start until well blended and no lumps and then the remainder of the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring periodically so as to not burn. When it begins to thicken and coats the spoon, add cayenne pepper, celery salt, garlic powder and more salt and pepper if desired.
- In a large bowl combine the sauce from above with the mushroom soup and package of cream of vegetable soup, then stir into the soup base. Add cheddar and continue to cook until it thickens. Remove bay leaves. Enjoy.