Absolute comfort food for the vegetarian. Lots of vegetables, covered in a thick, creamy cheese sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 -2 head cauliflower
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups peas
- 1 green onion, diced
- In large skillet or stock pot, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour and mix until a smooth roux is formed.
- Cook and stir roux continuously for 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add half-and-half and milk.
- Cook and stir continuously until mixture is thickened (8-10 minutes).
- Add in sharp cheddar and stir until melted and well mixed.
- Remove skillet or pot from burner.
- Mix all vegetables into the sauce and stir until fully coated; transfer to greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbling around the edges and browned on top.