Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Made this soup up today as I wanted to make a broccoli soup that avoided the usual roux thickener. It is so delicious that my family has asked me to make another pot tomorrow! The spices add a 'barely-there' subtleness. If you like your soup more heartily-spiced, just add more.
- 8 cups water
- 2 vegetables or 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 potatoes, chopped (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli florets (I used frozen)
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ginger
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Place all the ingredients from the water through to the ginger in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook until all the vegetables are tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree the soup in a blender and return to pot. Add half and half and the cheese and stir until the cheese has melted into the soup.