Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A thick creamy soup with a beautiful combination of spinach, leek and potato. This version is vegan, using a few vegan substitutes, but could also be made using non-vegan versions of those ingredients.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, white and soft green parts, sliced thinly
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine
- 2 tablespoons tofutti sour cream
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 baby carrots, shredded for garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tofutti sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Saute onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and water.
- Add leeks and potato.
- Season with salt, pepper, and basil.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and process in blender until somewhat smooth. Skip this step if you want your soup chunkier.
- Return to saucepan and add Earth Balance, sour cream, and milk.
- Heat through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of shredded carrot and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.