Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Alex Jamieson's Great American Detox Diet. Serve with crusty bread and salad for a hearty, satisfying meal.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 leeks, white and light green parts, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 396.89 g can white beans, drained
- 4.92 ml fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart pot.
- Sautee the sliced leeks about 5 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Add garlic and sautee another minute or so.
- Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes and leeks are quite tender.
- Add beans, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and more broth, if necessary.
- Puree until smooth, using an immersion blender or in small batches in a regular blender. If necessary, return to heat until warm enough.
- Sprinkle with soy cheese, if desired.
I'm always a fan of recipe with few ingredients for tight-budget-weeks. This recipe turned out great, with a few modifications: I only used 2 leeks and I didn't blend this. Just used a fork to mash the potatoes near the end (I let the soup simmer for closer to 35 minutes to soften up the potatoes further.) If you can afford more leeks, definitely use them! I wish I'd added more rosemary, too. I did not add more broth at the end, and my soup was more of a mashed potato consistency, which I liked a lot. The flavor developed very nicely over the week I ate this. This yielded 4 hearty meals for me over 1 week.
YUMMY!!!! My non vegan family loved the soup! I followed the directions and it turned out great! I did have to make it in two pots which in the end turned out best. The only thing I would do differently would be not to puree the potatoes but somehow only puree the leeks. This is only because of the color of the finished soup (due to picky eaters they may hesitate about the questionable color then the unpureed leeks.)If your vege broth is not brown then you may have no problems with the color. So easy and will make again!
4 stars because it's tasty, super easy, super fast, vegan, healthy, and soup. All my favorite things! Featured it on my blog. http://crashtestvegetarian.com/?p=1736