1/1 Photo of Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta With Broccoli
This is something I just put together today. I was craving something creamy, but wanted to keep it vegan and this is what I came up with. I got some of the ideas for the sauce from other recipes in the Micheff Sister's Cookbook. I think next time I will use this pasta mixture in a casserole baked with bread crumbs covering the top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces firm tofu
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (or fresh spinach tastes really nice and keeps more nutrients!)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (500 g) package egg-free pasta (I usually use bow tie, but it would be great with penne also)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian poultry seasoning (I use McKays Vegan Chicken Seasoning)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce, liquid (can add more to taste)
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cooked
- 1In a blender or food processor, blend cashews and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Then add the tofu, 1 tablespoons olive oil (reserve 1 Tbsp), 3/4 cup water, vegetarian chicken seasoning, 1 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, and salt, and blend until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a tad more water if it's too thick. Set aside.
- 2Boil pasta noodles and drain.
- 3In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the remaining 1 tablespoons olive oil until onions are clear. Add 1/3 cup water and the vegan chicken seasoning. If you are using fresh spinach, cook it with the onion, if using frozen spinach add it to the saucepan after the onion is clear.
- 4Once the onion, garlic, and spinach is cooked and the water has been evaporated, add the blended mixture (cashews, tofu, etc), cooked broccoli, and pesto sauce to the sauce pan. Cook together on low for 5 minutes.
- 5Serve mixed sauce on top of cooked pasta and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta With Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.7
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 661.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian poultry seasoning