Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Extremely low in fat and healthy. These creamy potatoes are my husband's creation. We were attending a vegan potluck and he was determined to find a way to make the mashed potatoes taste just as good as his unhealthy unvegan version. He succeeded and these creamy vegan mashed potatoes were a hit! Here is the recipe he scratched down for everyone.
- 8 -10 potatoes (average size)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise (Use vegenaise if you can. It's the real secret to the creamy!)
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk (until desired thickness)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Boil Potatoes until soft.
- Drain and Mash the Potatoes.
- Add all ingredients to the potatoes; mixing and tasting to desired flavor and thickness.
I've made this recipe three times now, once for a Christmas dinner party with friends coming over, and once on Thanksgiving and once for Christmas day dinner. I'm allergic to all dairy (including butter) so this recipe was such a lifesaver. None of my family knew it was a Vegan recipe until after they had finished eating it. Everyone raved about it and asked me to make it again. This is definitely a recipe you will want to make and EAT!
So I didn't follow the recipe completely, but 5 stars to you for making a delish vegan version of mashed taters that everyone loved!!! That vegan mayo totally worked wonders on this dish - gave them that yummy tang. Also of note, my soy milk was unsweetened vanilla flavor and it worked just perfectly (could not detect the vanilla). Also added a little vegan sour cream and a little vegan margarine. A keeper for sure!
Overall the recipe is good if you are looking for spruced up mased potatoes but I think there is waaaay toooo muuuuch cayenne pepper. Next time I make it, I will add it one dash at a time.