Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This pudding is lighter and less sweet than most, but it has a wonderful creamy vanilla flavor. If it is left to set in the fridge it will solidify and have a thick texture, but my favorite way to eat it is warm straight from the pot. The preparation time does not include soaking the pearls and pre-soaked pearls are available if you wish to avoid this step.
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Mix the tapioca pearls with the milk in a large pot and let them soak for at least an hour.
- Add the salt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer on low heat for five minutes while adding the sugar gradually.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl and mix in about half of the hot mixture. Pour the egg back into the pot and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil again and then cut it down to low heat.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Simmer for another ten minutes, stirring constantly.
DH and I enjoyed this pudding very much. Next, though, I think I might add another tablespoon, or so, of tapioca. Thanks for posting!