Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
Creamy rich and so good, a good quality pure vanilla extract will only improve this pudding even more! This takes minutes to make just mix everything in a saucepan and stir until thickened! Make certain to use a heavy-bottomed saucepan for this to prevent scorching or it can also be made in the microwave removing to stir a few times.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (for a sweet pudding add in a couple tablespoons more sugar)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, half and half cream, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using) bring to a boil whisking vigorously over medium heat.
- As soon as the mixture is very hot whisk in the egg yolk and cook whisking vigorously until thickened and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in vanilla and butter until smooth and combined.
- Transfer to a heat-proof bowl, then place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the pudding.
- Cool for about 30 minutes on the counter then refrigerate until cold.
I have eliminated all processed food from our diet, and have been searching out recipes for old favorites. I wanted vanilla pudding, to make parfaits. This pudding is so easy, and absolutely delicious. The cook time is no longer than for a boxed mix. The ingredients are available in most pantries. I will be keeping this recipe, and sharing with friends. Thank you for another great recipe Kittencal.
This is so good. I wasn't sure about adding the cinnamon and nutmeg as I thought it sounded odd to be in a vanilla pudding but I'm so glad I did. This reminded me of the custard pudding (made in the oven)that my mom used to make when I was a kid. Boxed pudding doesn't even compare to this. I'll be making this again.
Another great recipe from our favorite gal!! What a great pudding. Ease of preperation, and the final product was outstanding! I was craving pineapple cream pie, and had lost my pudding recipe, so used this, graham cracker crust with whipped cream on top..YUM!! I was hesitant to stir the egg in the hot mixture, but it worked out ok. Will definately make this again. Thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes you provide us with!