Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Serve on its own as a warming supper, with bacon or the Sunday roast.
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (mixture of open and closed cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the butter and oil together in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat until the mushrooms are soft and the juices have evaporated.
- Stir in the garlic and nutmeg and remove from the heat.
- Slice both kinds of potatoes to about the thickness of a pound coin. Arrange half over the base of an ovenproof dish and season.
- Scatter over half of the mushrooms. Repeat the layers.
- Pour the milk over the potatoes and mushrooms. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1hour.
- Remove from the oven, scatter over the cheese and bake for a further 25mins or until the top is golden and the potatoes are golden brown.