Recipe by LMillerRN
Any other cheese sauces can be substitued for the cheddar sauce. See in directions alternatives for cheese. From Cooking Light.
- 2 lbs peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot cheddar cheese sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 dash paprika
Hot Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the potato slices and garlic cloves in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- Combine the Cheddar Cheese Sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange half of the cooked potatoes and garlic in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of the sauce mixture over potatoes. Repeat the procedure with remaining potatoes and garlic and remaining sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Hot Cheddar Cheese Sauce:.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium, heavy saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Swiss Cheese Sauce:.
- Substitute 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- Gruyère Cheese Sauce:.
- Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese and 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) finely grated fresh Parmesan for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce:
- Substitute 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese for the shredded cheddar cheese. Then proceed with the recipe.