Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 6 cups hot cooked macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat; add flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in 2/3 cup cheddar cheese and processed cheese; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
This was perfect! I have made mac and cheese many times before but it's always come out not creamy enough. I also added a pinch of dry mustard since I am a fan of the flavor. Came out creamy and my picky mac and cheese connoisseur loved it! This recipe is a keeper!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
First time making mac and cheese without butter. Very creamy and tasty. I topped mine with french fried onions and added some pepper to the sauce. Thanks for sharing.
Good stuff and easy to make with things you usually have around the house. I did it with Laughing Cow cheese, you need 10 of the little wedges to make the weight. Better the first time than leftover, but one most people would like and good fat content too.