Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In response to request. This turkey soup is a work in progress. I try to perfect whenever a turkey is cooked. There is usually a bit of meat left over on the carcus, which we debone and cut up the meat...then make this soup and soup with the carcus!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 quarts turkey broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups turkey, diced
- 1 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- 2 cups light cream
- Saute onion& celery in butter.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, zucchini& broccoli and saute lightly for 5 min.
- Stir in broth; simmer for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes& seasonings; cook another 10 min.
- or until vegetables are tender.
- Add turkey.
- Stir in cream& heat through.
This is really good. I omitted the sweet potatoes and added 6 or 8 cloves of minced garlic and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup. Delicious.
A great use for leftovers! I added garlic, left out the sweet potato & added some sweet corn. This is a lovely soup & a great way to use leftovers.
I started with your recipe as the beginning to my soup. To make the turkey broth I used Orrington Farms turkey base, as I'm pretty much too lazy to make my own stock! I had a container in the freezer that had been collecting extras of potatoes and veggies- so I threw that in, it was combo of sweet potatoes, red potatoes, russets and green beans. I left out the celery since I don't care for it. And lasty, I forgot to buy cream, so I added 1/2 cup of Healthy Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup. What a great way to use up some leftover turkey from the Thanksgiving feast!