Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found in Taste of Home December/January 1996 issue, submitted by Bonnie Durkin. Good for using up leftover turkey.
- 1 large onion
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves
- 88.74 ml butter
- 88.74 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml savory
- 2.46 ml parsley flakes
- 354.88 ml milk
- 5 medium carrots
- 946.36 ml cubed cooked turkey
- 236.59-473.18 ml turkey broth
- 283.49 g package frozen peas
- Chop onion and celery.
- Add to a large kettle and saute in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the next 7 ingredients.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Chop carrots into 1/4 inch pieces and add to soup along with the turkey.
- Add enough broth for soup to reach desired consistency.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and cover and simmer until vegetables are tender about another 15 minutes.
The soup was easy to make and hit the spot on a cool day. I loved the flavor from the savory and thyme. The soup was a little thinner than a traditional cream soup, but very good served with fresh croutons. I used chicken broth and added a half teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Thank you for sharing the recipe!