Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This goes together in a flash-and is really flexible for using ingredients on hand. You can either make this with noodles or dumplings, or leave them out. We like our soup salty, so adjust that to your taste.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 5 cups turkey broth, divided (or chicken bouillon)
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 8 ounces noodles (fusilli, rotini or similar)
- Saute onions and carrots in butter until soft, not brown.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Gradually add 2 cups broth and milk.
- Cook and stir until it thickens.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups broth, and all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 10-12 minutes until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
This soup was amazingly good! If you dont have turkey, it would be just as great with chicken! While eating this soup it was so comforting but was a soup that I could see making/eating when someone is under the weather. Its that type of soup that would make you feel better when your sick. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly, except before adding the turkey and noodles I simmered the broth and veggies to flavor it well. Probably about 30 min. later I added the turkey and egg noddles and cooked per the directions. Sooooo good! Nice and flavorful. It tastes just like a Homemade chicken noodle soup but creamy! I can really see how others have said that this would be amazing as well by adding in dumplings for chicken and dumplings. Thanks so much for this recipe! I cant wait to make again to test on someone or myself when they arent feeling so well.
I made this with my leftover turkey and loved it!!!!! I added garlic, celery and carrots... it was GREAT
Made this tonight with leftover turkey...was soo good. I halved the recipe as there is only two of us here, had some carrots in the fridge but when I took them out they had frozen and were no longer good, ( issues with the vegetable crisper) so I used corn in place of the carrots.I also put celery in this and used Mrs Reames frozen noodles. Wow what a great soup. It was very tasty and so good on a rainy night...thanks so much for sharing