Southern Lady's Note:
I adapted from another recipe. The second number in the ingredients is if you prefer a stronger flavor in your dishes. I did this since ea. area of the country has their own preferences. If you're short on time, cook in skillet on low until bubbly, add cheese until melted. It tastes better the next day and freezes well. Serve with colorful vegetables or a green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups rice, prepared
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (DIVIDED)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup (use chicken if you don't like mushrooms)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 -4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 -8 dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry wine or 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2-1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup green bell peppers or 1/4-1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 -1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Prepare rice as instructed on package.
- 2In skillet, brown turkey in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, drizzling it evenly over turkey. Your meat shouldn't be chunky (small pieces). Place in large mixing bowl.
- 3In same skillet, add remaining olive oil, sherry and sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic until tender.
- 4In sm-medium bowl, mix together sour cream, mayo, ground pepper, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- 5Combine soup mixture into large bowl with meat mixture and mix well.
- 6Stir rice into meat mixture until covered well (don't overwork the rice - prevents mushy results).
- 7Spray oil over an oblong casserole dish and pour mixture evenly into dish.
- 8Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top of mixture.
- 9Bake COVERED for 40-45 minutes until bubbly.
- 10Before adding cheese, if you think your mixture looks a little dry, evenly pour 3-6 tablespoons of cream or milk over the top. Fork a few tiny openings for cream to work its way down into casserole dish.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Turkey & Rice Casserole (Chicken, Too)
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.2
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 76.1 mg
- Sodium 461.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 19.8 g