Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adapted from another recipe. The second number in the ingredients is if you prefer a stronger flavor in your dishes. I did this since ea. area of the country has their own preferences. If you're short on time, cook in skillet on low until bubbly, add cheese until melted. It tastes better the next day and freezes well. Serve with colorful vegetables or a green salad.
- 3 cups rice, prepared
- 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (DIVIDED)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup (use chicken if you don't like mushrooms)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 -4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 -8 dashes hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2-1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup green bell peppers or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Prepare rice as instructed on package.
- In skillet, brown turkey in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, drizzling it evenly over turkey. Your meat shouldn't be chunky (small pieces). Place in large mixing bowl.
- In same skillet, add remaining olive oil, sherry and sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic until tender.
- In sm-medium bowl, mix together sour cream, mayo, ground pepper, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce.
- Combine soup mixture into large bowl with meat mixture and mix well.
- Stir rice into meat mixture until covered well (don't overwork the rice - prevents mushy results).
- Spray oil over an oblong casserole dish and pour mixture evenly into dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top of mixture.
- Bake COVERED for 40-45 minutes until bubbly.
- Before adding cheese, if you think your mixture looks a little dry, evenly pour 3-6 tablespoons of cream or milk over the top. Fork a few tiny openings for cream to work its way down into casserole dish.